Apple TV+ is finally available to watch, following years of planning and months of speculation since the new streaming service’s official unveiling in March. Todays launch sees the service become available in over 100 countries, accessible from within Apple’s TV app on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices, and select smart TVs, along with the services newly launched web-based original content portal at tv.apple.com.
Apple TV+ costs $4.99/month, following a 7-day free trial; with annual subscriptions offering a 15% discount at $49.98. Eligible purchases of new – or Apple refurbished – iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, or iPod touch hardware will receive one complimentary year of service. Apple currently offer the new streaming service free to students subscribed to Apple Music’s student tier with the first two episodes of TV+ original series available for all to stream for free.
Apple TV+ offers the cheapest point of entry in this new video content streaming era at just $4.99. Whilst the content catalogue available today is limited in terms of depth, “the first all-original video subscription service,” offers a selection of varied and compelling exclusive original series and movies with more arriving in the coming weeks and months.
Here’s todays full launch lineup for Apple TV+ in alphabetical order:
- Dickinson (Complete first season of 10 episodes available, TV-MA)
- The Elephant Queen (Movie available, TV-PG)
- For All Mankind (3 episodes available, remaining 7 episodes debuting every Friday, TV-MA)
- Ghostwriter (7 episodes available, 19 episodes coming soon, TV-G)
- Helpsters (6 episodes available, 20 episodes coming soon, TV-Y)
- The Morning Show (3 episodes available, remaining 7 episodes debuting every Friday, TV-MA)
- Oprah’s Book Club (1 episode available, new episodes expected bi-monthly, TV-PG)
- See (3 episodes available, remaining 5 episodes debuting every Friday, TV-MA)
- Snoopy in Space (12 episodes available, 14 episodes coming soon, TV-PG)
TV+ content is entirely ad-free, available to download for offline viewing and can be accessed by up to six family members via Family Sharing. For those with family members on non-Apple platforms, TV+ content is also limited to six concurrent streams when sharing account login details.
Apple TV+ is a new venture, far removed from your typical Apple product launch. Todays launch marks the beginning of whats set to be a long unraveling story in itself. With an exclusive focus on original content, if the company continue to curate to the standard of quality represented in todays launch, Apple users hopefully have years of quality content to look forward to. For the time being, abandon any cynicism and enjoy the quality content on offer. Hopefully, like me, you’ll have found at least one story to believe in.